Hey ITC readers!
Am I the only one who just can’t move into the 21st century and use my iPhone calendar? I just love having my planner where I can write things by hand! I refuse to use google or apple calendars, but you’ll find me toting my full-size planner around with me wherever I go.
It’s no surprise that I am picky when it comes to a planner. I want it big enough to write in a lot of meetings and activities each day, but not so big I can’t fit it in most handbags. I want it to be stylish and functional. I want it to be durable-it needs to last for a full year, and get banged around being thrown in and out of bags every day!
For the last couple of years, I’ve been using a Lilly Pulitzer large Agenda and have loved it-especially the adorable stickers and designs on each month’s page! While I highly recommend this planner, I wanted to switch it up for the coming year and go with a more mature and sophisticated look. I love Lilly, but as I move closer to finishing my PhD and into a professional academic career, I want to make sure when I pull my planner out it scream put together, not beach babe. If you’re a college student and not quite needing to reflect that professional vibe yet, I am loving this Ocean Jewels pattern planner for this year!
I decided to give Kate Spade planners a try this year after hearing many wonderful things about them. I had the hardest time deciding what to go with-the floral and gold dots both caught my eye! In the end, I chose the black and white striped planner-it is classic, goes great with my black Michael Kors school bag, and is bold but understated. Plus, the polka dot inside is just too cute!
I liked the gold dots so much, though, that I grabbed a spiral notebook in the gold dot pattern!
Loving these inspirational month pages!
Once you’ve picked your favorite planner, here is my advice for staying organized with your planner.
- ALWAYS keep it with you. You’re not going to forget to add something to your planner if you can do it right away. Telling yourself “I’ll write that down when I get back to my office” may result in missed meetings!
- Write in standing meetings. For me, this means every time I take or teach a class this is added in-even if it is every Tuesday and Thursday! You can’t double book yourself this way, and you may forget about these routine obligations.
- Use the extra space off to the side for a running to-do list. I’ll put in “pick up prescription” or “buy dog food” so that when I look at what needs to be done throughout the day I get constant reminders of these errands and don’t end up driving home without them!
- Cross things off as you complete them! This is a personal preference for me, and some people may think it looks messy, but I love that boost of accomplishment I feel when I mark something off-even if it is just attending a meeting!
- Check your planner every night before bedtime. You can make sure you hit everything you needed to do during the day, and get an overview of what you have going on tomorrow. Don’t know how many times I’ve forgotten something I had to do the next day (bring in a dish of food for something, email something to someone) that I would have forgotten all about in the rush of the morning, but I was reminded of the night before!
How do you stay organized? Are you a high-tech calendar user, or do you stick to a traditional planner? Let me know in the comments section!
Ivory Tower Chic